Tuesday, August 7, 2018

These Are SUPER!




In the annals of Comic Book history there are more than enough less-than-ethical and sketchy publishers. In my opinion, Israel Waldman deserves to be a part of that group. In the 1970’s he partnered with Sol Brodsky to form Skywald Comics. However over a decade earlier he began his career in publishing under the brands IW and Super. He had taken the opportunity to make a bulk purchase of thousands of metal engraving plates from a printer. This cache contained pages of comic books that had been done by a myriad of publishers during the Golden Age. That list included Quality, Star, Avon, Fox, Novelty Press, Chesler, Bailey, Toby and Fiction House. Starting in 1958, he reprinted this work in a line of his own comics.

It should be noted that most, if not all, of this material was still in copyright to the respective, original publishers nor had he bought any reprint rights. What I suspect is that he was banking on was the fact that most of these publishers had either gone out of business or at least ceased putting out comics.

My first encounter with them occurred when I was very young. I would guess that I was 7 or 8 years of age. The comic that my mom bought for me was a rather nondescript, juvenile one that was titled, TOM-TOM, THE JUNGLE BOY. Even though I had never heard of its characters like Koko and Kola, Mighty Atom & the Pixies or Judy & the Magic Chalk, they enchanted me. I hung onto that comic for a long while, until it was sacrificed in one of the periodic comic purges that folks would demand. In 1978 I worked in a comic shop and when a copy came through the door, I snatched it up. It has remained in my clutches ever since.



My personal recollection of that initial occasion had me getting the comic as a standalone purchase. However, I’ve come to believe that that is in error. I’ve heard that these books were issued in polypacks of 3 comics and it occurred to me that I was aware of the characters of Ziggy Pig and Silly Seal in my youth. Those had not been published since the 1940’s but IW/Super did reprint them, so it’s entirely possible that I got a pack of kiddie comics.

The multi-pack might also account for some curious practices by Waldman. Although they were numbered, none of the comics had a monthly date on their covers. Those cover dates were actually “sell by” dates for the retailer to know when to remove and return unsold books. With this strategy, the IW/Super books could endure a longer shelf life.
Another issue that the company needed to overcome was how to sell dated content to new readers. One way they were able to do this was by hiring artists to draw new, more contemporary covers, thus making the books look “fresh”. Once again the multi-pack merchandising would make the consumer limited to buying, based upon the covers that they saw within the pack. The new covers were drawn by a number of noteworthy artists which included John Severin, Joe Simon, Gray Morrow, Jack Abel, Angelo Torres and the Andru/Esposito team.





Sold in these packs, they were presumably exempt from going through the Comics Code Authority. However, some parents were still unsure of the suitability of the material without the CCA seal. Waldman had an answer for that as well. His earliest books reprinted a logo from Quality Comics that cited the comic as a “top Quality comic”. These were placed on the covers in the exact spot where a parent would expect to find the CCA seal and it looked official enough for them to pass muster. When Waldman began using the Super name he used a variation of the tactic for a similar result.



Collectors with ADD would find the numbering apoplectic experience and at first glance it appears to be rather random. Don Markstein, at his Toonopedia site, postulates a theory on Waldman’s numbering system which makes a bit of sense. Rather than numbering reflecting an individual series, it instead refers to a batch of comics sent to the printer. So all the offerings that were done in that initial batch are numbered as 1. The following batch, which may or may not include the same titles would be numbered as 2.
As a rule Waldman avoided using material that might get him in hot water. I don’t know if his stock included plates from any DC comics, but he never dared to tempt fate by using those. But on occasion he did use both Marvel/Timely and EC material.




When I was in my early teens and just discovering collecting, books like “All In Color For A Dime” and Steranko’s “History Of The Comics” made me very curious about Golden Age comics. The IW/Super books became a godsend for me and my fellow collectors. Many of the top tier artists in comics had work within those reprinted pages. Men like Jack Kirby, Wally Wood, Frank Frazetta, Steve Ditko, Bob Powell, Lou Fine and Mac Raboy to name but a few. Often you could find these at second hand shops for next to nothing, as they weren’t premium companies like DC or Marvel. The Internet has had an effect on such bargain pricing. With sites like the Grand Comics Database making the contents more available to sellers, the odds of getting IW/Super books with highly collected artists for cheap, have been reduced. For example DARING ADVENTURES issue 12, which reprints PHANTOM LADY #14 is currently on eBay from prices between $33 and $174, instead of the $2 I paid for it at a comic shop in 1998. But of course PHANTOM LADY #14 is on the site for close to $3,000 so those other prices are indeed bargains in relation to that.


Pat 







5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the history lesson.

    I myself was never a serious comic collector or fan, I simply bought what I liked when I had the chance. There were no dedicated comic book stores near me growing up, so I bought comics where I could and when I had the money. I liked mystery and spooky/horror comics since each comic had a complete story or stories in the comic.

    I rarely bought superhero or adventure comics where the story would continue in the next issue since I might not be able to get hold of the next issue, and ordering comics from the publisher was discouraged in my family. Growing up in the 70's and 80's meant follow the family rules or face your parents wrath, as you hinted at during your own parents demanding a comics purge.

    As always, thanks for your posts concerning comics and comic history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My buddy Pat always writes posts. He is a comics historian.

    Back in the late 60's early 70's it was hard to get continuing issues of a title at your local convenient or drug stores. I stopped buying superhero books after Jack Kirby left Marvel comics and I went for the B/W Warren horror mags for many years.

    I never saw the I/W books on the stands at all when I was a kid but I do remember those comic book packs with three comics in a plastic bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Super/IW comics had new/reworked covers because the plates Waldman bought were only the interior (newsprint) plates.
    The covers were printed on higher-quality slick stock on different presses and stored seperately.

    It's why the reprinted Fox books like Phantom Lady don't have title pages on page 1.
    Fox printed the title page for a book's lead story on the inside front cover!

    And why the story synopsis pages Avon had on inside front covers weren't included in the Avon reprints like Space Detective!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the info. It probably helped to have new covers on the books to make them look more like the comics of the day instead of the older golden age books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And just 10 days ago I bough Daring Adventures #12 at a comicon. The dealer said he bought a dozen+ long boxes on Thursday and hadn't had time to sort them. Said I might find something worth $50 or motors in there. Not sure what mine.'should worth but I bet it's more than 5)3 $2 I paid.

    ReplyDelete